|Why should I eat Macadamias?
Macadamias – the world’s finest nuts – are characterised by their crisp texture, delicate flavour, versatility of use and long shelf life. In other words, they are Yummy! Macadamias are also good for you. Medical research has shown that the consumption of macadamias may significantly lower the risk of heart disease. So replacing some of your saturated fat intake with the mono-unsaturated macadamias could help protect your heart.What is in a Macadamia?Macadamias are rich in macadamia oil, which is very stable and contains high levels of the nutritionally important monounsaturated fatty acids. They contain no cholesterol.
A typical composition is as follows:
Macadamia nutrition: The kernel contains Vitamins Al, BI, B2, Niacin and essential elements such as Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium and Potassium.
How does this compare to other nuts and oils?
The table below shows that Macadamia oil contains the world’s highest percentage of monounsaturates, exceeding both olive and canola oil.
|So why are mono-unsaturated fats good for us?A recent study at Wesley Hospital in Brisbane found that a diet enriched by macadamias actually lowers harmful blood cholesterol in participating patients. The research concluded that eating 6-20 macadamia nuts per day actually lowered harmful blood cholesterol by 7% and triglycerides by 25% when compared with a high complex carbohydrate diet.Is cholesterol still considered important? The discussions and information about cholesterol in the last 10 years have been controversial. However, an increased blood cholesterol level is still considered one of the major risk factors in the development of cardiovascular disease. It is recognised that one of the dietary factors contributing most to an increased blood cholesterol level is the type of dietary fat consumed. A high intake of saturated fat (typical Western diet) contributes to increased blood cholesterol while a higher proportion of monounsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats (such as in Macadamias) appears to protect against cardiovascular disease by lowering total cholesterol and increasing the HDL-cholesterol (good cholesterol).(nutritional information prepared by Ingrid Perols, Dietician and lecturer, emailSCIMP@twp.ac.nz)
Why are Macadamias good value?
Eating the best tasting products that are best for you is always good value! To look at it another way, if we pick 100 kg of nuts with husk from our trees we will have 46 kg after dehusking, 34.5 kg after drying and only 10 kg of kernel after cracking. Thus we have 90% waste products – the remaining 10% deserves to be good!
Other uses for Macadamias
Our other Macadamia Products
Macadamia cooking oil is one of the new gourmet cooking oils available. It is used by our own cafe and gives a great taste for food. It is competitively priced in either gift bottle or everyday use bottles, so why not give it a try?
Cosmetics: Macadamia oil can be refined to a cosmetic cream or massage oil. It has a silky non-greasy feel – the perfect gift for someone who thinks they have everything.
Health watch alert!
Considerable research has been conducted by our Macnut foodie experts into a product called Macadamia meal (ground macadamia nuts).
Mac Meal is extremely beneficial for people who suffer from food allergies such as flour, starch, and gluten.
It is also an advantage for people who are simply on a low carbohydrate diet with the aim to lose weight.
(The famous Dr Atkins was heard to quote on his diet regime “You can eat as many macadamias as you can afford on my diet”.)
Food allergy study has found the elimination of flour from the diet to be a very hard regime to stick to. Mac Meal can be used to make delicious muffins and biscuits using nil flour. These satisfy the comfort food cravings of sweet biscuits etc.
We all know that Almond meal (very expensive) is traditionally used for flour-free recipes, but Macadamia meal has the same, if not better effect. This fabulous ingredient can also be used for making all manner of recipes such as shortbread, sauces, pates, fudges, and is a superb topping for meat and vegetable dishes.
When using Mac nuts in a recipe, roasting them beforehand brings out their incredible, natural buttery flavour. This is not absolutely necessary, but we find roasting the nuts before cooking with them intensifies and compliments the flavour of the most recipes.
Macadamia meal can be easily produced by zapping the pre-roasted nuts in your home blender using the pulse, until their texture starts to become fine with a few slightly larger chips. (Make sure you do not process for too long or it will become too fine and turn buttery.)